Strategic Plan of the Kilbourn Public Library
Kilbourn Public Library
Wisconsin Dells / Lake Delton
The current Kilbourn Public Library building which opened to the public in 1996, serves Wisconsin Dells, Lake Delton, and outlying areas within the Wisconsin Dells school district. In July of 2006, the Kilbourn Public Library became a joint library of the municipalities of Wisconsin Dells and Lake Delton. In June 2008, bookmobile service was added to reach those unable to visit the Wisconsin Dells facility on a regular basis. The Library Board of Trustees, staff and administration began the strategic plan process in 2008. A survey was conducted and public meetings held in 2009. This plan was created based on results of the surveys, public meetings and input from library staff and trustees.
Library Mission Statement
The Kilbourn Public Library (KPL) serves the needs of the community. It serves a diverse group of residents and visitors, in addition to cooperating libraries. The library provides a place and a variety of resources to meet patron information, education, recreation, communication, and cultural needs. The library provides materials in print, audio, video, and other electronic formats for circulation and reference use. KPL staff is available to assist patrons in meeting their needs.
Strategic Plan Committee
Cathy Borck, Library Director
Library Board of Trustees
GOAL: The library will ensure the physical facilities are adequate and well maintained in order to provide an accessible, safe, comfortable, and attractive environment for patrons and staff.
- Provide areas for small group study, tutoring and meeting space for programming for all ages.
- Provide adequate areas for resources and programming for the youth of the community.
- Provide adequate storage facilities and work areas to promote a healthy and efficient work space for staff and volunteers.
- Prioritize needed improvements and modifications in order to complete them in as timely a manner as financial resources allow.
- Make available adequate parking for patrons and staff including those with special needs and disabilities.
- Provide a space for the bookmobile that is secure and safe from the elements and prolongs the life of the vehicle.
- Investigate the addition of a self check out station.
- Plan and anticipate space and electronic requirements for new technologies.
- Prioritize green practices in the maintenance of the existing building and in the design of any additions.
GOAL: The library will provide and maintain a variety of programs, collections, and services to meet the personal, educational, and cultural needs of children, their caregivers and families.
- Offer programs and services designed to help young children enter school ready to learn.
- Work with area schools, educators and youth groups to promote the library and the available resources, programming and services.
- Promote reading to create a pattern of lifelong learning.
- Offer programs for families to attend together.
TEEN / YOUNG ADULT SERVICES
GOAL: The library will provide a space and maintain a variety of programs, collections, and services to meet the personal, educational, and cultural needs of middle school and high school students and their families.
- Offer programs and services designed to promote the use of library resources among teens and young adults of our community.
- Create a space that is welcoming, safe and comfortable for teens and young adults of our community.
- Work with area schools, educators and youth groups to promote the services available for teens and young adults.
- Provide adequate space, resources, technologies and support for students to work on projects and homework.
GOAL: The library will provide services, facilities, equipment and materials that reflect and meet the needs and desires of the entire community and area.
- Ensure that community members are aware of library services through the library website and newsletter, as well as the local media.
- Create partnerships with, and provide information about, community groups and service organizations.
- Knowledge of the fluid populations and growing diversity in the community and the world will be reflected in programming, services and material selection.
- Evaluate new technologies as they become available.
- Promote resources that are available through our participation in the South Central Library System.
GOAL: Maintain adequate staff in order to assist patrons with their information, education, recreation, communication, and cultural needs.
- Ensure adequate staffing of librarians and support staff in order to carry out library services and programming.
- Ensure adequate staffing of librarians and support staff in order to maintain the current and future library and bookmobile schedule.
- Provide training for staff to ensure familiarity with library procedure, policy, equipment and technologies.
- Provide volunteers with adequate training to assist the regular staff as needed.
- Work with the library system to investigate and become familiar with new technologies as they become available.
GOAL: Provide service to patrons unable to use the library facility.
- Provide bookmobile service to nursing homes, assisted living and senior apartments on a regular basis.
- Provide bookmobile service in areas that are convenient and safe.
- Provide a space in Lake Delton where library services and programming are available.
- Continue to monitor the need for additional outreach services.
GOAL: Continually evaluate and update the collections to ensure adequate and timely resources are available for our patrons of all ages.
- Additions to the materials collection will be based on evaluations and recommendations from professional journals and resources.
- Knowledge of patrons’ special needs and interests will be reflected in the collections.
- Reading trends of our community will help determine collection development.
- Special collections, such as audio books, large print, bilingual and foreign language materials will be evaluated and maintained continually to meet the changing needs of our community.
GOAL: Secure adequate funding to continue providing library services that best meet the needs of the community.
- Work with city, village, township and county officials to secure funding at a level that allows us to meet our goals and objectives.
- Apply for governmental and private grants to supplement library funding.
- Continue to seek fair reimbursement from all counties for library usage.
This strategic plan will be updated as needed.
Photo Courtesy of
H.H. Bennett Studio, Wis. Historical Society
620 Elm Street Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
Monday through Thursday
9 am - 8 pm
9 am - 5 pm
9 am - 2 pm